Hudson’s Birth Story

18 Sep

{Swinging the day before labor began}

Hudson is my third baby. This is his birth story.

I was 5 days over due. I had been 6 cm dilated for three weeks.

I went to bed at 10:45. I’d been having mild contractions most of the day, but didn’t think anything of it, because that had been happening pretty much every day for the past four weeks.

I woke up at 11:30 with painful cramps. My first thought was that I ate something bad. I had another contraction and realized that I might be in labor. I walked out to the living room and told Thad to be prepared. When the next contraction hit I knew this was it. I called my parents to come watch the kids. Within minutes I was in enough pain that walking was difficult. I kneeled on the floor and leaned on the couch. I called my parents and told them to hurry.

When my parents got to the house I didn’t even say hi. We were already in the car pulling out of the garage. I spent most of the ride to the hospital with my eyes closed, praying that I wouldn’t have a baby in the car.

We had to go to the E.R. entrance because the main hospital doors were locked for the night. I got in a wheelchair and Thad pushed me through the halls as fast as he could, stopping each time a contraction hit.

We checked in at Labor & Delivery at 12:45. I was almost 8 cm. The nurses immediately started setting up for delivery.

Labor was intense and I could barely talk, even between contractions. I’m so thankful I had typed up a birth plan, because when a nurse started to give me an IV I managed to squeak out, “No, I have a birth plan!” and pointed to my bag.

My basic plan was that as long as Hudson and I were doing okay, everyone would leave us alone.

My nurses were amazing. They were quiet, supportive, and encouraging, and had no problem following my birth plan. (One actually thanked me later for letting her see a natural birth!)

The doctor came in and introduced herself (my regular doctor wasn’t on call). I told her I sort of felt like pushing during contractions, so she checked to see how things were progressing. I was a 9 1/2 and she said she’d like me to try to wait until I was a 10 to push.

I was totally fine with that. I hadn’t even been in labor for two hours at this point, and wasn’t mentally prepared to push, so I was already doing everything in my power NOT to push.

The doctor came in a few minutes later and told me she had to go do a C-section and they were calling another doctor to come in.


Yep. Thankfully doctor # 2 hadn’t gone to bed yet, and made it to the hospital quickly.

He came in, assessed the situation, and read my birth plan. He told me I could push whenever I was ready.

I still wasn’t mentally ready. I sat up on the end of the bed, right leg tucked up under me, left leg hanging over the side. That’s how I sat for my entire labor, aside from a few minutes on the birthing ball. It was the only position that felt right.

I was pushing with each contraction, even though I was still sitting straight up. The doctor was very calm and patient. He sat at the end of the bed and quietly chatted with Thad, occasionally telling me that I was doing great and he was ready when I was.

It was finally go time.

There had to be a major mental shift for me. Through labor I had to use every ounce of concentration to relax and not freak out. For pushing I had to suddenly use every bit of strength and energy I could find (and still try not to freak out).

Pushing seemed to take forever. With every contraction I could hear everyone telling me this was it and that they could see him. The doctor continued to be supportive, assuring me that I was fine and Hudson’s heart tones sounded great. I tried to push with each contraction and relax in between, but Hudson was just stuck. (That’s how it seemed to me, anyway.)

I remember deciding that I was ready to be done. I was getting that baby OUT. The next contraction came and I pushed. And pushed. And kept pushing after the contraction was over.

I don’t know how long that one push lasted, but it worked. Hudson popped out. The stinkin’ kid was sunny-side up. And he was perfect.

It was 2:05 in the morning. Two and a half hours after I woke up with contractions. An hour and twenty minutes after I checked in at the hospital. Six days after my due date.



* I’ve heard plenty of horror stories about attempting a natural birth in a hospital setting. I’m glad to say my experience couldn’t have been better. The hospital staff was amazing.


6 Responses to “Hudson’s Birth Story”

  1. (@DianaParDue) September 19, 2012 at 9:23 am #

    beautiful! I love that your hospital doesn’t require an IV. Our’s does. However, my hospital did do well with both my natural births. I hated being monitored so much and on the second birth the nurse was young, never seen a natural birth or attended a hands and knees birth so she was stressed out and I ended up ripping off the monitors and screaming/shoving her away from me at one point…I felt bad, but not really hehe. I hate IV’s but was able to have it taken off immediately after the birth (I did have Group B Strep so the IV was necessary the second time to give me a dose of antibiotic).

    Also? Yay for short labors! Mine was only 6hrs 45min the second time which wasn’t as short as yours but only about a third of the length of my first!

    • Lemon Tree Studio September 19, 2012 at 5:07 pm #

      I had to be monitored constantly with my first birth. It’s so nice to be free from all the tubes and cords!

  2. Jordin September 19, 2012 at 12:33 pm #

    Megan, sometime you should share your birth plan with me. Since I want all natural child birth if at all possible when the time comes, I want to know what to expect.

  3. aprilkennedy September 19, 2012 at 4:02 pm #

    Megan, I loved reading Hudson’s birth story! I too had supportive nurses and doctor for my natural childbirth plan. It makes all the difference in the world. I can’t believe you were walking around dilated to a 6! Crazy. Thank you so much for sharing! xoxo

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: